Sutter Heart & Vascular Institute
In many cases, cardiovascular surgery is the most effective treatment option. Sutter Heart & Vascular Institute delivers the full spectrum of surgical treatment options and has an excellent record of successful outcomes. Being on the forefront of new technologies and procedures we have been deemed a Center of Excellence for both the Abiomed Ventricular Assist Device procedure (VAD) and Endoscopic Vein Harvesting (EVH). We are the only VAD program in Northern California outside of the Bay Area and the largest EVH center in the Western United States.
Sutter Heart and Vascular Institute works in conjunction with the Sacramento Cardiovascular Surgeons to provide EVH, VAD, and other advanced surgical procedures to the Sacramento Region such as: the Diamondback 360°, the Impella Procedure, and the Totally Thorocscopic Maze Procedure (TT Maze). Learn more about procedures performed at the Sutter Heart & Vascular Institute.
At Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento we perform the highest quality surgery using the most advanced technology. Our surgical results are excellent, surpassing state and national averages.
A Rich History of Medical Firsts
Since our inception more then 50 years ago, we have been a medical pioneer by bringing new technologies to the area. Some of our highlights include the areas:
- First successful open-heart surgery
- First pediatric open-heart surgery
- First heart transplant
- First interventional vascular program
- First to perform coronary angioplasty
- First to perform electrophysiology
- First to perform transmyocardial laser revascularization (TMR)
- First to perform endoscopic vein harvesting
- First to perform pediatric tele-echocardiology
- First to perform pediatric interventional heart catheterization
- First percutaneous assist device placement
- First LVAD (left ventricular device) placement
After battling cardiac issues for years, Jackson was referred to Sutter Heart & Vascular's Heart Failure Clinic in 2003. "It was nice to go there, they gave me a lot of attention," he says. "They helped me manage my heart condition and took very good care of me."
Read Jackson's story
Read More Patient Stories