Speech & Language Services
Sutter Children's Center, Sacramento
Speech-language pathologists who specialize in working with children care provide evaluation and treatment for infants through adolescents. These specialists help children having difficulty feeding, swallowing, learning to communicate and adapting socially. Children come to the speech-language pathologists for a variety of reasons including speech, language, learning and functional disorders.
After a thorough evaluation, speech-language pathologists develop a treatment plan that is shared with the family and referring physician. Therapy aims include:
- Develop communication skills in infants and children with special needs (e.g., cleft palate, cerebral palsy)
- Improve speech production by optimizing development of the child's oral, vocal cord and breathing skills
- Remediate comprehension and expression of verbal language
- Assess and treat oral feeding and swallowing disorders
- Provide family education for at-home therapy
The Pediatric Rehabilitation Services of Sutter Women's and Children's is approved by the California Children Services (CCS). For more information, please call (916) 733-1040.
More information about speech and language development and
speech and language delays is available in our health information section.